Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


Usually I claim less than I need to in order to get a larger tax refund at the end of the year. However I am getting a big bonus check soon and I want to change my exemptions for one week so that they take the least amount of taxes out of the bonus check. What is the most exemptions I can claim without getting flagged or in trouble by the IRS?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

In general, you may owe a penalty for if the total of your withholding did not equal at least the smaller of: 1) 90% of your 2012 tax, or 2) 100% of your 2011 tax.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.