Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I plan on getting divorced in 2014, but we are not legally separated yet. If I update my 2013 W-4 Form, should I be withholding at a single or married rate? If I choose married, can I file married filing separate for 2013 filing?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

Since you are technically still married in 2013, you would indicate that you are married, but you should elect to withhold at a higher single rate on your W-4 Form. This would be consistent with reporting as married filing separately for the 2013 tax year.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.