Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I have three children whom I will be claiming on my income taxes. We live with my boyfriend who works full time as I lost my job in June. Can he put 4 as his dependents through work even though I will be claiming the children at the end of the year?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

In most cases, only a parent or qualifying relative can claim their child on their tax return. Your boyfriend may only be able to claim your children if he is supporting you as well and you earn $3,650 or less per year. Is this your case? If not, then only you can claim your children. Please note that you both can't claim your children under any circumstances. If he claimed them on his W-4 form to reduce his withholdings and you claimed them on your tax return, your boyfriend would face interest and penalties for providing an inaccurate assessment of his tax situation.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.