Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I want to hire a Certified Nurse's Aide to do some custodial care for my disabled husband in our home for several hours per week without going through a nursing agency. Would the IRS consider me a small business owner? Could I deduct the cost on my income tax as part of our medical expenses for the year?


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

Yes.  You can deduct the cost as a medical expense.  You want to make sure the person doing it is an independent contractor and not an employee so you do not have the do payroll.   The IRS looks at factors to determine if the person is an independent contractor such as if the person provides services to other people and not just you.  I hope this answers your question.  Thank you.

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.