Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I have started a new job in Minnesota, but my personal residence will remain in Illinois. Which state will I need to file taxes?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

You will need to file a state tax return in both states as there is no reciprocity agreement between Minnesota and Illinois. Minnesota only have state income tax reciprocity agreements with Michigan and North Dakota via Form MW-R.
Specifically, you would file a resident return in Illinois and a non-resident return in Minnesota. Please note that you can claim a tax credit on your Illinois state tax return for taxes paid to Minnesota via the Schedule CR of you Illinois tax return.
References: Illinois Publication 111
State: Illinois, Minnesota

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.