Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I travel for a living. I'm easily on the road for months straight, maybe 8 months total out of the year. I recently moved from a state that does not have a state income tax (Washington) to one that does (California). I'm wondering if I can claim non-residency in California and keep filing through my prior Washington address because I am gone so much to avoid paying the state tax.


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

You are a part-year resident of California. Specifically, you are taxed on all income received while a resident in California; this would be the period you moved to California until the end of the year. The following year, you will be treated as a resident because that is your new domicile. Domicile is defined for tax purposes as the place where you voluntarily establish yourself and family, not merely for a special or limited purpose, but with a present intention of making it your true, fixed, permanent home and principal establishment. It is the place where, whenever you are absent, you intend to return. This appears to be the case.

References: California Publication FTB 1031
State(s): California, Washington

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.