Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I went through a divorce in February 2012 and my husband kept the house. His retirement account will be rolled into my 401k and he will need to compensate me a lump sum payment of $125,000. I'm wondering how this money should be treated for tax purposes? This is not for a community property state.


Expert Todd Alexander's Answer:

 In general, property settlements in related to divorces are not taxable.  This is true for either a community property or a equitable distribution state.  

Todd Alexander, CPA


20 yrs experience

  • Currently 5.0000/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
31 Ans.