Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I recently moved from North Carolina to Virginia for work. I now rent my house in North Carolina to a friend for less than my principle and interest payment. How do I claim this income (or will it be a loss?)


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

You claim rental income and expenses on Schedule E.   You can only deduct the taxes and interest on the property.   You can allocate these expenses to Schedule A and Schedule E based upon the time you used the home as your personal home versus a rental.   You can also deduct depreciation on the home and rental expenses on Schedule E.  I hope this answers your question.  Thank you. 

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.