Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


In 2010, my son qualified for his disability but he passed away before getting the money and I was sent $12,000 for the survivor benefit. I was told by the CPA doing my taxes that this money was non-taxable. However, the IRS sent me a letter indicating that owe taxes on this money. Is the IRS correct?


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

It depends upon your income. If you income is bellow $25,000 for filing single or $32,000 for married filing jointly, then you do not pay tax. Above those amounts it may be taxable. I would check with your CPA.  I hope this answers your question. Thank you.

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.