Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I am filing my 2009 taxes and have received a 1099a from the mortgage co, however I had Private Mortgage Insurance on the loan and had to default. How do I file this? They never let me know what amount was settled on with the insurance company and what the difference was that I should be reporting from the 1099a. What do I do?


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

The amount may be taxable as income as the debt was forgiven by the lender.    However there may be exception if the debt was on your personal residence.  Here is a link with some more information:




I hope this answers your question. 

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.