Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I received a notice this week about a tax bill from 1986 from the Georgia Department of Revenue. This was the first time I was notified. When I called the Georgia Department of Revenue, the Compliance Department told me it was from an audit that was done in 1995 for the tax year ending in 1986. This tax was assessed to my husband (who has never received any correspondence from the Georgia Department of Revenue and who has never been officially assessed to his knowledge) and my tax refund was kept. My question is can they do this, and do I have any recourse?


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

You have the right to due process and opportunity for hearing or to contest the taking of your property under the Constitution.  I would contact a local attorney to review your case to see if anything can be done.  I would contact the Department of Revenue and ask what legal basis they have given that you were never notified or provided due process.   I hope this answers your question.  

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.