Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to Investments


Related User


I'm retired and receive $11,000 in social security income per year. Last year I accumulated $5,000 in capital losses and this year have a $300 capital loss. Does $3,000 of my capital loss from the prior year have to be offset against my $11,000 in social security income even though that income isn't taxable? I'm trying to preserve my carryforward losses.


Expert Eugene Jaspan's Answer:

 If you have any taxable income, you would need to apply the $3,000 capital loss against it.  Since none of your Social Security Income is taxable (and I'm assuming you have no other taxable income), you can preserve the carryforward loss to a year when you do have such income.



Gene Jaspan, CPA

Eugene Jaspan, CPA

New Jersey

24 yrs experience

  • Currently 4.3333/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
26 Ans.