Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to Investments


Related User


I purchased an ETF that happens to issue a K-1. Box 8 of my K-1 (short-term capital gain/loss) is showing a capital loss of $3,000. Am I able to take this loss or do I have to carry the loss forward until I sell the ETF. Basically is this subject to passive loss rules?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

You would report the net short-term capital loss on line 5 of your Schedule D which attaches to your Form 1040. This is not relevant to passive activity loss rules as referenced in IRS Publication 541 and IRC Section 1211.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.