Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


We had bonds in a company that went bankrupt. As partial payment we received common stock. Can we take a capital loss for the difference between our original purchase price of the bonds and the amount they valued the stock?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

There's typically not a capital loss recognized in this situation. Per IRS publication 17, you will not have a gain or loss when debt is converted into stock according to a conversion privilege in the bond agreement. However, when you sell the stock, that can certainly be claimed as a capital loss if it is in a lose position at the time of the sale.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.