Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I'm a non-resident alien for tax purposes living in the US on J2 visa/status. I am a Russian citizen. I would like to do a freelance work. Which tax withholding forms do I need to complete?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

As a non-resident alien on J2 status performing personal services in the US, you would not be eligible to claim an exemption as per Article 18 of the US/Russia Tax Treaty. Thus, Forms 8233 and W-8BEN would not be applicable. W-8ECI would be the only form that can be completed given the fact pattern provided. Separately, you would file Form 1040NR after the end of the year to file your taxes.

References: Article 18 of the US/Russia Tax Treaty
State: California

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.