Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I am late completing my 2011 tax returns as I could not find a copy of my 2010 tax returns. In addition, recently I received a letter from the IRS indicating I did not file my 2010 tax return. I am almost certain that I completed the 2010 tax return because I received a refund from the state. I cannot find either the state or federal 2010 copies of my tax return. What shall I do?


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

If it was filed with the IRS you can request a copy or transcript from the IRS.  If you had an accountant prepare your taxes, then you can probably get a copy.   You will need to get some proof that it was mailed to the IRS.  Some people send their tax return return receipt requested so you have proof.   If you can show proof of your federal refund in 2010 that would provide proof.  I hope this answers your question.  Thank you.

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.