Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I share a business with a business partner. I am married and was told to file jointly, but the business is not in my husband's name. I was advised to file jointly to take advantage of business tax credits, but he owes child support. My question is will they take money out of my business account.


Expert Barbara Blacklidge's Answer:

If you file jointly with your husband, you will want to file Form 8379 (Injured Spouse Allocation) with your tax return.  This will prevent your share of any refund from being taken for your husband's delinquent child support payments.
The following link contains excellent information about Form 8379:

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards, Barb
References: IRS Publication 971 & Internal Revenue Code Section 6015

Barbara Blacklidge, EA


17 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
21 Ans.