Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I moved to NYC in 2009 from California and I transfered my job. In May of 2010, I left that job and went to a different company. However, my old job sent me two form W-2s, one of them was just for taxes that I paid to California. Am I due that money back and if so what form would I file?


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

If you worked in two different states, then you would need to file a tax return in each state in addition to your federal return.  You would need to file a California tax return to get a refund of taxes paid to California.  I hope this answers your question.  Thank you. 

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.