Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


My son bought a condo in Connecticut last May, but continues to use our home address for work, auto registration, insurance, etc. Is this a problem for taxes or should he just change everything over to his Connecticut address.


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

If your son spends most of his time in Connecticut, then he should file there. Also, it would be wise for him to switch over his registration to his Connecticut residence address. The IRS has strict guidelines regarding principal residences. The primary factor that the IRS reviews when a taxpayer alternates between two properties for successive periods of time, is the property that the taxpayer uses a majority of the time during the year will ordinarily be considered the taxpayer's principal residence. There are other factors that the IRS reviews such as the taxpayer's place of employment, the address listed on the taxpayer's federal and state tax returns, driver's license, automobile registration, and voter registration card; the taxpayer's mailing address for bills and correspondence; the location of the taxpayer's banks; and the location of religious organizations and recreational clubs with which the taxpayer is affiliated. But, where the taxpayer spends most of their time is the primary factor.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.