Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I got separated and filed for divorce in October 2012. I just received an IRS notice stating that my 2012 tax return is being investigated. I was injured in 2010 and have not had to file taxes for 2 years now. What I've found out is that taxes were filed jointly in 2011 and 2012 and I never gave permission to my former spouse. What do I do being that I'm not filing taxes as workers compensation isn't taxable?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

Do you know if there was a tax liability for the 2012 tax year and do you have a copy of the tax return filed? Generally speaking, if a spouse or former spouse filed a tax return on your behalf without your knowledge and you were negatively impacted, you can file form 8857 for innocent spouse relief. You should also file the state form IL-8857. Also, you are correct that workers compensation is not taxable as it relates to occupational sickness.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.