Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


My wife and I are married and I live in Europe. She is in the US. I don't have a SSN or a ITIN (yet). We want to apply for a ITIN for me. Can she check for married filing jointly on her tax form?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

As per IRS publication 501, if one spouse was a nonresident alien or dual-status alien who was married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien at the end of the year, the spouses can choose to file a joint return. If you do file a joint return, you and your spouse are both treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year. So, is your wife a US citizen or resident alien in the US? If yes, then you can file jointly.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.