Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I received social security income last year. I just received a letter stating that they overpaid me by $ 10,000 and I have to repay the social security administration. They've decided that they are no going to not send me another SSA check until April of 2013 as a form of repayment. Should I amend my return?


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

No.  You are cash basis taxpayer and received the money last year.   The amount you report this year will just go down.  I would find out why they overpaid you to see if you can appeal the decision.  I hope this answers your question.  Thank you.

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.