Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


My husband and I are legally separated in the State of Michigan. We are filing taxes separately. I am filing head of household. Do I have to itemize if he does?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

Yes, you can certainly elect to choose either the standard or itemize deductions since you are legally separated and and are filing as head of household. This is referenced in IRS Publication 504 and IRC Section 2.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.