Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to Filing Taxes


Related User


My boyfriend only worked 2 weeks this year and we have decided for him not to seek employment. Therefore, I know I can claim him as a dependent but would it be more beneficial for us to get married and file a joint tax return?


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

Typically you get better tax treatment if you are married.  It will really depends upon how much he makes and your tax situation.    I would check with your CPA to review your situation.  It may not be a good idea just to get married for tax purposes.  I hope this answers your question.  

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.