Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I filed my tax return before my husband this year and claimed the standard deduction. When he filed he had to itemize so now I need to amend my tax return. Do I need to wait for my refund to amend it?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

We'll assume you both file as married filing separately. You are correct that if you file as married filing separately, both spouses must either claim the standard deduction or itemize. Thus, you'll need to amend your tax return for his itemized deductions to be eligible. Yes, you should wait for your refund to come to avoid confusion with the IRS. This is referenced in IRS Publication 501 & IRC Section 63

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.