Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I got married recently. At the beginning of the calendar year, my husband was covered under my employer's health insurance as a domestic partner. That meant that I was paying taxes on my employer's contribution to his insurance. Now that we are married, he is on the insurance as my spouse so I am no longer being taxed on that contribution. When we file our taxes for 2012, will I receive the taxes I paid on his insurance as a refund?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

You will not receive a tax refund for the period that your now spouse was a domestic partner as health insurance premiums are considered taxable according to the Internal Revenue Code. The only exception to this rule is if you can claim your spouse as a dependent on your tax return.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.