Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I own stocks set up with automatic dividend reinvestment. Do I have to report these reinvested dividends for tax purposes?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

You would have to report the reinvested dividends as income and owe tax on them. You should receive a form 1099 and report the gross dividends on box 1(a) and the amount of qualified dividends on box 1(b). These are taxed at long-term capital gains rates. If the amount in box 1(a) is greater than box 1(b), the difference is taxed as ordinary income. Form 1040 has a dividend worksheet on page 37 to report it.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.