Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


If you gift money to a church, it is my understanding that there should be a special statement on the receipt you receive from the church. Do you know the wording?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

What type of contribution is it? Cash, property, or both? Typically, a receipt (or a letter or other written communication) from the qualified organization showing the name of the organization, the date of the contribution, and the amount of the contribution as well as the name of the donor is required for tax purposes (IRS Publication 526). If the amount of the contribution is $250 or more, an acknowledgement letter is required. The acknowledgment must meet certain tests. Specifically, it must be written and include: the amount of cash you contributed, whether the qualified organization gave you any goods or services as a result of your contribution, a description and good faith estimate of the value of any goods, and a statement that the only benefit you received was an intangible religious benefit, if that was the case. Please note that you must receive the receipt on or before the earlier of: the date you file your return for the year you make the contribution, or the due date for filing the return. If the acknowledgment does not show the date of the contribution, you must also have a bank record or receipt that does show the date of the contribution. If the acknowledgment shows the date of the contribution and meets the other tests just described, you do not need any other records.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.