Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I am a 19 year old college student and work, but only make about $4,000 a year. My dad claims me as a dependent on his taxes but I want to try to get the most financial aid I can to live on my own. Right now, I live in a dorm and live with him only in the summer. He doesn't give me money for anything. What is the best thing for me to do to get the most financial aid?


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

Your dad should not claim you and you should claim yourself.  I hope this answers your question.  Thank you.

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.