Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I have a Minnesota based partnership with a Michigan partner. How is income tax reported for each of us since she does half the work in Michigan and I do the other half in Minnesota? Do we pay taxes in both states and claim a tax credit?


Expert Mark Anderson's Answer:

It will depend upon what activities are done in the state.  If there is a substantial nexus with the state, then a returne probably needs to be filed.  Typically, a partnership files a tax return in the state where it was formed and issues k-1s to the partners.   It really depends upon the business activities being done in the states.  I would check with your CPA.  I hope this answers your question.  

Mark Anderson, JD


21 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
110 Ans.