Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


Can you claim the standard deduction instead of an itemized deduction if you are a 1099 independent contractor?


Expert Barbara Blacklidge's Answer:

Claiming the standard deduction versus itemizing your deductions has nothing to do with 1099 independent contractor status. Your income and expenses as an independent contractor will be listed on Schedule C of your 1040 personal income tax return. You can then choose whether to take the standard deduction or itemize on page 2 of your 1040. Please let me know if you require further information or clarification. Thank you and best regards, Barbara

Barbara Blacklidge, EA


17 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
21 Ans.