Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I am establishing a single-employee company for myself (probably an LLC, but maybe an S- or C-corp). Can I establish it in a locality or state other than where I live and work, to benefit from better small business health insurance rates? Can I do it with a sole proprietorship?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

No. You need to either have a principal business address within the state where you're purchasing coverage or have an eligible common-law employee with a primary work-site within the state where you're purchasing coverage. This common-law employee must be on payroll (not including a business owner or sole proprietor, or their spouses on the payroll). We don't believe you can just have them on payroll for one month or utilize a corporate mailing address as you suggest.
References: Small Business Health Options Program; Affordable Care Act
State: Pennsylvania

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.