Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I work at a private high school, where I teach and also coach the golf team. The team plays at a nearby private course. If I get a membership to that course, can I deduct the fees on my taxes? Or, could I have the school pay the annual dues out of my salary so that money never comes to me as income? Which route would be more advantageous in terms of taxes, assuming that having a membership is a necessary part of my job?


Expert Janet Driscoll's Answer:

I would have the school pay the membership fee and course fees directly to the club. Just be sure that you use the club exclusively for school courses. Personal use of club facilities could trigger an assessment of imputed income.

Janet Driscoll, CPA


25 yrs experience

  • Currently 5.0000/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
2 Ans.