Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I have owned my home for many years, yet I have never claimed property tax on my tax returns. How many years or what is the maximum amount that I can claim this year?


The BIDaWIZ Team's Answer:

You can deduct the total amount of your property taxes, on Schedule

A, of your Form 1040. If you elect to claim the standard deduction,

you can increase your standard deduction, by $500, if you are a

single taxpayer, or you may increase the standard deduction by the

property tax amount; up to $1,000; if you file "married filing jointly."

You may amend your 2008, and your 2009 tax returns, and claim

the aforesaid tax deduction, if you so elect.

The BIDaWIZ Team



  • Currently 4.6190/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
1547 Ans.