Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


How can I lower my property tax since the value of my property has gone down?


Expert Thomas Graham iii's Answer:

There are several things you need to do to try to get a property tax reduction.


First, conduct research relating to all recently sold homes in your general vicinity. You will need to know sale price, square footage, date built, etc.


Second, log onto your county tax assessor's website and find a listing of all the homes and the property taxes paid most recently (or tax liability). This information is part of the public record so you will have no trouble receiving this information.


Third, schedule an appointment to meet with your county tax assessor. Take the information you gathered in steps one and two with you. This will be your proof that you are currently paying too much based on the value of your home. The result of your appeal will normally be mailed to you following a brief period.

Thomas Graham iii, CPA, CFE


7 yrs experience

  • Currently 5.0000/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
78 Ans.