Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I'm planning to wire over $50,000 to my family living in China and am wondering if I am subject to US gift taxes because the amount is over $13,000. I think I can claim the lifetime gift tax exemption but really trying to understand if this type of transfer falls under gift tax rules?


Expert Wray Rives's Answer:

 You will be responsible for filing a gift tax return if you give more than $13,000 to any one individual.  You can use a portion of your lifetime gift and estate tax exclusion, but you will still have to file the gift tax return.

Wray Rives, CPA


29 yrs experience

  • Currently 4.8333/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
52 Ans.