Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


I received a 1099-MISC for employment performed abroad and I'm also not a US citizen even though I live there for most of the year. What should I do to report this income or should I do nothing?


Expert Wray Rives's Answer:

 If you are a US resident, you should file a form 1040, personal tax return.  The US imposes income tax based on your residency not your citizenship, therefore you may possibly owe income tax on worldwide earnings while a US resident.

Wray Rives, CPA


29 yrs experience

  • Currently 4.8333/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
52 Ans.