Explore the 1,000’s of tax questions answered by professionals.

Back to list


Related User


Our company is setup as an S Corporation that was once a C Corporation with earnings and profits. We would like to distribute dividends to shareholders from the C Corporation AEP since tax rates are still low. Can we distribute this to all shareholders based on their pro-rata share in the company and do we just issue a 1099-DIV form after the end of 2012?


Expert Neda Tafreshi's Answer:

You can distribute dividends to the original shareholders of the corporation while the entity was a C-corp and issue a 1099-DIV to them. The S-corp members would not be entitled to dividends if they were not a shareholder when the company was a C-corp.

Neda Tafreshi, CPA

New York

8 yrs experience

  • Currently /5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
5 Ans.